Seeing as this is our first devblog post, it would only be natural to mention the obvious first: we finally have a website. It may still be lacking some features which we plan to integrate later down the road, but our priority was to find a new and organized way to share our progress with the community.
For nearly one year now, the Vellocet team has been hard at work. From the Garry’s Mod server to our full feature standalone game, ANEURISM (III and IV) has occupied us quite well.
For this month’s devblog, we wanted to showcase all the progress that has been made so far on ANEURISM IV. We may be a small team of developers, but our experience at making our first ever game has been exciting so far.
Our lead concept artist, Emily, has made a few rough drafts of the characters you might encounter in ANIV.
Moreover, our Modeller & Artist, Dadaskis, has rendered some examples of the default player class: the Prole.
At the start of the project, we opted to use Qodot and Trenchbroom, a Quake level editor, to design the world of ANIV. This proved however to be quite unoptimized and overcomplicated for our purposes. Seeing At the start of the project, we opted to design the world of ANIV using Trenchbroom, a Quake level editor, and Qodot, an open source Godot plugin capable of importing Quake map files. This proved however to lead to some serious performance issues. Seeing as ANIV is designed to be a fairly large game, and because we want to make it as easy as possible for the community to make their own worlds, we switched to Blender. This ended up being a great decision and allowed us to speed up the workflow and to get far more creative.
A more intuitive occlusion culling system was created to suit the new level creation process.
In the spirit of getting into the mood of ANIV, here are a few demo soundtracks.
The biggest challenge so far has been to create a multiplayer system. We made the decision to use Godot, an open-source 2D/3D game engine, and with that choice came some advantages and disadvantages. For example, we had to create separate projects for the clientside and serverside to enable us to provide an optimized headless server distribution without any graphical overhead.
Below is a demonstration of what we’ve accomplished so far. This includes the framework for server hosting (custom IP/port and client creation), a framework for Steam integration (account data, etc.), and a serverside player controller.
Our team is very proud of the progress that has been made so far. We will continue to work on this project and keep the ANIV community updated via our new devblog.
If you have any questions, comments, or would like to have a chat with us, feel free to join our Discord server!